Monday, March 5, 2012

Trinh Minh-ha, Reconstructing language, and some Random J-Horror (maybe)

Here is a link to a ten minute clip of Trinh's 1984 documentary Reassemblage.

In two different WGSS courses (taken contingently) I got my first introduction to Trinh Minh-ha's theory as a feminist film maker, anthropologist, etc. In Feminist/Queer Theory, it was solely her written work ( "Commitment from the Mirror-Writing Box") but it was in Feminism, Democracy and Capitalism that I both read her theory and saw some of her work (if I am not mistaken, it was this exact clip that we watched). Trinh conceptualizes masculine language as something that is linear, has a beginning-middle-end, with proper punctuation, etc. Her film is a pretty good example, in my mind, of what could be constructed as "feminine" writing. It is interesting to think of film as a possibility for feminine writing to take place--is it in film, in reconstruction of film, that a new woman-focused writing can take place? Can it be the site of the deconstruction of language, or does it pose similar dilemmas?

I highly recommend Trinh Minh-ha to anyone interested in feminist theory or feminist film making/ film making in general. I am highly invested in her work because it blends experience with theory in a way many of the other theorists I have read have failed to do. She truly might know the way to write in the feminine. I would not be adverse to sending out some additional reading of some of the work I have read in the past/the work of hers I'm reading now if that sounds interesting to the class. I don't know about the others who are in Advanced Feminist Theory with me now, but her readings are often refreshing and challenging in the sense that her use of language challenges what I know to be the traditional trajectory of theory.
Also sorry if this is not making any sense, I blame it on four hours of sleep.

Anywho, watch the clip, respond and tell me what you think! I'd be interested in hearing opinions.


--------------------

I will try to find the part in Ringu 0 which I was referring to, but honestly I haven't seen the movie in so long that I have no idea where it would be in the timeline of the story.

Also this is interesting. It is an article about the Studio Ghibli films and how they're based on real-life, horrific crimes (do not read if you want your view of the films spoiled, because it will happen)

http://my.opera.com/sukekomashi-gaijin/blog/tonari-no-totoro

No comments:

Post a Comment