I initially could not find the link
between Gotot Prakosa and Cixous. I wasn't comfortable using western
theory to analyze films produced in the Global South. But I think
that by using a postcolonial lens, we can tease out some of Cixous
ideas about power and autonomy, then we can begin to talk about sex
and gender. The idea of a speech action for oneself initially struck
me. Obviously this does not transfer ideally into post-colonial
theory, but I think its important to recognize a call for autonomy
among oppressed people.
Prakosa's films then work in two ways.
Initially at a local level, as a resistant speech act. As Cixous
calls for women to write women, Prakosa is writing post-colonial
Indonesia. Through an appropriation of traditional Indonesian art
forms, he speaks as and to a particular Indonesian identity. Then
again by interjecting into western discourses on film, he reasserts
this speech act. However, Cixous complicates this idea, it cannot
fully be transferred to post-colonial theory. While I'm not
particulalry comfortable speaking about Islam or Indonesian culture,
I think some of Cixous's ideas can illuminate how we talk about
sexism within Prakosa's works.
There is, undeniably, a serious lack of
women in Kantata Takwa and virtually no female speaking characters.
However I think a discussion about problematic representational
practices would be totally unproductive. The question, using the
frameworks of Cixous, is where are the Indonesian female authors? In
this sense, Prakosa almost avoids or adheres to the prescription set
for by Cixous, demanding that men speak men only.
“Write your self. Your body must be
heard. Only then will the immense resources of the unconscious spring
forth. Our naphtha will spread, throughout the world, without
dollars—black or gold—nonassessed values that will change the
rules of the game” (Cixous 262). Cixous calls for autonomous,
transformative art by decentering male authorial dominance. So
Prakosa's films are incomplete records of female representation
because we do not look at feminine speech acts. To truly deconstruct
any of his films, we have to have a counter point. How does the
Indonesian female speak herself? As we are critical of patriarchy we
must be simultaneously critical of colonialism and white/Western
privilege. Because just as white, Western women have been “muffled
throughout their history” (Cixous 268), so have colonized peoples.
It is important to look at how the anti-colonial, anti-fascist
content of Prakosa's films intersects with the voices of Indonesian
female filmmakers.
There are quite a few contemporary
female Indonesian filmmakers. Many of them critically acclaimed,
especially on the festival circuit. If we want to talk about
Prakosa's representations of women I think it would also be helpful
to understand how women filmmakers, trained in the same institutions
are speaking themselves. I think its dangerous to apply Western
theory, to films made not in the West. And that instead of
deconstructing Prakosa's work through an unfocused lens, it would be
more helpful, in this instance especially, to look at feminist
filmmakers in the area and to observe how they speak themselves. What
are the poetics of their revolution and how do they articulate their
own autonomy?
No comments:
Post a Comment