Filmmaking in the West is not
generally understood to have a history that extends more than a century. While
the laws of composition are similar for most visual arts, I would argue that
most people traditionally consider film and photography to be profoundly modern
artistic media. Gotot Prakosa challenged this perception in his talk. Many
times, Prakosa emphasized that film is an international language. While it may
seem a little bit to be an empty phrase, Prakosa focused in on the ability of
film to convey a sort of universal subjectivity or elaborate on elements of the
human condition that can be understood by everyone.
Although I’ve portrayed his
interpretation of film as a language as a little flat for now, I think that his
understanding of film, both as a formal technique and artistic medium, helps
frame some of the reading for this class. More specifically, I think that it
offers a better way of understanding spectatorship than is offered by bell
hooks. I was a little frustrated with the bell hooks reading. In her critique
of the ahistorical psychoanalytic subject, I feel that she tends to focus a
little too much on the specifically temporal historical/cultural subject. While
there is no doubt that traditional Hollywood cinema is constructed in such a
way that ignores minority views, I think it’s going a bit too far to suggest
that inter-subjectivity is impossible. I think it’s playing into the hands of
identity politics to suggest that the experience racial or gender categories,
although obviously important, are entirely unreconcilable or somehow
fundamentally and essentially different. bell hooks doesn’t necessarily come
out and say this, but it’s a vibe I get from her reading.
To be more specific, I think
Prakosa’s comments on film frame the medium as both a cultural experience and a
universal experience that speaks to some fundamental human subject. Despite his
comments that film is an international language, Prakosa was very conscious of
the fact that his own construction of films is inextricably connected to the Indonesian
Wayang theater. For Prakosa, Wayang is an almost filmic medium, and its focus
on the light image is intensely reminiscent of film. Further, as film student,
Prakosa noted that his study of film was inseparable from his study of the
formal structure of Wayang. Although I am by no means an expert on Wayang on
Prakosa’s film, he claims that the structure of Wayang is consciously reflected
in his film.
So, while I think that film necessarily
is constructed from a historical or cultural position and it is in some ways
impossible to escape that, there is another level on which is can project a more
consolidated meaning. I certainly don’t believe in the stable meaning of any
text or some sort of meta-language through which we can express meaning, but
nonetheless I agree with Prakosa that film can express some fundamental things
about human subjectivity (e.g. desire). Kantata Takwa emphasizes this for me.
Obviously I have no understanding of what it’s like to be an Indonesian dissident,
but its formal structure, its experimental technique is an aesthetic experience
that I think provides a surplus of meaning beyond the historical/cultural
understanding of the film.
No comments:
Post a Comment