Watching Kantata Takwa, I was
struck by the way the performers talked about their music and about social
change. The recurring references to
self-control, keeping to one’s conscience and checking one’s self against the
wishes of Allah and the needs of a community or nation contrasted in my mind
with the themes of widespread mobilization and freedom. I didn’t expect the role of the personal and
the artistic to take the shape of such deliberate individual commitment and for
it to be such a foundational tenet to collective action for change. I found myself caught off guard by the overt
politicization of music, film and faith.
The question I ended up posing to
Godot Prakosa addressed what felt to me like this underlying
contradiction. I wanted to know how he
approached intention, self-checking and control versus (divine) guidance and
surrender in his own work. Given my own
confusion and the ambiguous way I presented it, I was surprised how wholly he
seemed to understand. I am probably
completing misusing his words, but what I think Godot said is that the people
of Indonesia believe in the environment and the mountains, that given the
stability of these things there is the opportunity for things to come back and
to happen in the future. These things
are bigger than us and in some ways don’t depend on us. But at the same time, while we are here in
the world, we use our power to affect what we can. He answered my paradox with reverence and
hope.
At one point, someone asked Godot
about the symbolism of the woman in hijab, who is present to all the violence
and struggle nearly constant throughout Kantata Takwa but never speaks or
intervenes. When we first watched the
film, I found myself seeing this character as representative of a lack of
agency, as passive and characteristically feminine. In this, I was doing her – and the film in
general – a huge injustice. In his
answer to this question, Godot talked about the need sometimes for not everyone
to be involved directly in violence. He
implied that there is insight that comes from the shadows and margins, not just
the front lines, of struggle.
In addition, Godot related her
presence to his own position as filmmaker.
I had been so focused on the obvious, active presences in the film that
I forgot the very silent gaze and invisible vision that made the work
possible. Listening to Godot helped me
see the film and perhaps filmmaking itself as testimony to the power of bearing
witness. Sometimes I forget that agency
and silence are not irreconcilable. Just
as some of the feminist film scholars we’ve read see female spectatorship as
meaningfully ambiguous, I want to keep in mind that there are many different
paths to struggle and different manifestations of power, that subjectivity is
necessarily complicated. The seer and
seen never exist separately from each other, and neither is the sole agent of
either vulnerability or power.
I want to end with one more thing
Gotot said that stuck with me: that filmmaking makes him happy. When asked what his favorite movie was that
he made, he answered “all of them”, that he loves them because they’re his. Having only seen Kantata Takwa, a powerful
political critique with deep social implications, I don’t think I would have
envisioned his relationship with film as based on joy. Maybe this can speak to the idea that personal
creation and happiness and social justice are mutually contingent or
dialectically related, just like object and subject, self and world. I hope I can hold onto the idea of the
mountains, that this world will exist with a sort of rhythm all its own, but
that my place in it – as both witness and actress – still matters, in some
way.
Oh no, I spelled Gotot's name wrong throughout this! I'm sorry!
ReplyDelete