Friday, April 27, 2012

Context and "The Act of Seeing..."

My physical reactions to The Act of Seeing With One’s Own Eyes were visceral and easy to identify, but it took me a long time to identify and understand my emotional reactions. Like my classmates’, they were mixed. I want to start by responding to John's blog post, in which he briefly mentioned Brakhage’s suggestion that the Pittsburgh Trilogy was intended as a means of redeeming undervalued but important professions such as autopsists. It’s true that as a society we don’t really think too much about the stuff that happens behind the scenes when people die; doctors are revered, but coroners, morgue technicians, undertakers, embalmers… these invisible professions belong to the part of our society where we see certain work as necessary but prefer not to think about how it gets done (we have a similar attitude to sewage workers or trash collectors). Watching The Act of Seeing With One’s Own Eyes, I found myself constantly wondering about the people who were performing the autopsies, wanting to know who they were, how they lived, how they came to the profession, and, most importantly, how they felt about the whole thing.

But Brakhage never gives us any of this information, which I think is rather the point. I felt as though the film was more of a broad reflection on mortality than a documentary about a specific time and place. Bringing back Sontag, I’m not sure how I feel about this. The Act of Seeing has no captions, no voiceover, and no soundtrack. It offers no insight into the people conducting the autopsy. Instead, the film reads like a representation of the audience’s subjectivity: the objects are the corpses, and the subjects are not the medical examiners but the viewers, who express their subjectivity through their reactions. The lack of overt emotional guidance allows for a wider range of reactions, recalling Sontag’s point that “No ‘we’ should be taken for granted when the subject is looking at other people’s pain” (7).

In his introduction, Brakhage describes his film as more akin to poetry than documentary, saying that the film is easier to watch because it is aestheticized, which creates a certain distance between the viewer and what is being shown. I wonder whether this is true. Art is matter out of place, but so is dirt. Are these autopsies easier or harder to watch out of context? And, more importantly, by taking them out of context is Brakhage making them more or less “true”? The lack of background information allows the audience to form their own opinions in the absence of a “voice of god”—a kind of postmodern “death of the author”. However, this absence also implies a universality, suggesting that the images on screen stand for themselves and do not need to be explained. By removing the images from their context, it seems as though Brakhage is objectifying the bodies and ignoring the autopsists in order to make some larger point about death and the human body. I appreciate the subjectivity, but at the same time I’m not sure if I think it's fair.

1 comment:

  1. I really resonate with this last paragraph when considering my own thoughts about the film. I would like to think that I'm generally pretty cultured and open to new ideas and ways of seeing things, but Brakhage's "The Act of Seeing With One's Own Eyes" made me feel disgusted and partly resentful towards him. I agree with Margarita in that Brakhage does indeed objectify the bodies by removing the images from their context. The female body in particularly really negatively resonated with me - at this point in the movie, I noticed one of the medical examiners laugh and I could not help but immediately blame him for making light of the female body/possibly suggesting that the situation amused him. Initially, I considered whether he was just thrilled to see a naked female body in any context. I understand this is unfair for me to jump to conclusions, but the situation was so eerily objectifying that I could not forego any conclusions. Additionally, in the simplest of terms, I am just not really sure that I understand the point of making this movie. I feel like Brakhage is objectifying each body present on the screen and really just making light of each of their deaths and the literal tragedies that were unmistakably a part of their deaths to require autopsies. As well, although I have no other criteria for which to base this assumption on, I felt that the medical examiners were being rather careless and/or indifferent towards their care of the bodies. At the beginning, one man handling the bodies did not even bother to wear gloves, which is disheartening for a multitude of reasons. I do not think this can be attributed to the location (Pittsburgh) as was inferred in class, but I also am extremely biased, because this is my hometown. I think that there have probably been new standards regarding sanitation and such since the seventies, hence why the entire class was thrown off by the indelicacies featured. Additionally, I found myself feeling very far removed from the entire situation when we were watching the film, even though cliche aside, death is inevitable and that could very easily be me being pried apart. I guess on a personal level, I consider death to be such a fragile thing that I had a really difficult time connecting the grotesque images onscreen to real life.The abrupt start and finish of the film also left me feeling uneasy. Brakhage in no way tried to ease into the piece, or prepare the viewers for what I interpret as a glorification of mutilation. I additionally side with Margarita in that I genuinely wanted to know more about each of the workers' lives. In a sense, their presences were almost just as significant as the intense presences of the dead bodies. I found it curious that all of the workers were white and male. I would be really intrigued to see a statistical analysis of the gendered makeup of the profession in general - I cannot help but assume there is a large proportional discrepancy and I think this is extremely significant.

    ReplyDelete