I’m interested in
the way that Cavarero situates horror as a supremely physical force acted out
on singular bodies and, fundamentally, a crime against ontology, the very
nature of being. While this
analysis makes a lot of sense to me, and in a lot of ways I understand the
distinction between terror and horror to be a really important one, I am wary
of Cavarero’s focus on the ontological nature of the individual. As humanist and concerned with the
integrity and suffering of embodied beings as her perspective appears, the lack
of engagement with a broader geo-political context makes me nervous.
In terms of her
assertion that horror is beyond political strategy and has more to do with the
limits of what is ontologically possible, I see her failing to interrogate the
sources of horrific violence and their relationship to power. An attempt at analyzing horror without
this lens, while far from “fetishizing” it through a focus on the aesthetic and
importantly privileging the perspective of its victims, seems to lend itself to
a conceptualization of the actors of horror as monolithic in their rather
philosophical aims. More
concretely, I am worried that suicide bombers coming from populations
historically suffering from violent oppression and an insidious politics of
terror will end up occupying the same position as Hitler’s Nazis in this idea
of horror. This is certainly not
to say that horror ever has a justification in its context, or that the
dehumanizing and destruction of any individual being is any less tragic based
on the situation of the victim and the perpetrator within a broader
sociopolitical context.
That said, maybe
horror isn’t horror unless it has the (historical, social, political, physical)
heft to act out this violence of destruction, because it seems like the very
premise of horror is power, a certain omnipotence on the part of the actor and
the manipulation of the victim’s (inherent) vulnerability. In that case, I
wonder where the line is drawn between horror and destructive, literally self-dismantling
violence – because I think the latter can have a much more complicated motive
than the perverse production of “invulnerability”.
In regards to
that, I wonder how important it is that horror is seen. To what extent does it involve vision
and in what is its relationship to spectacle? The Armenian genocide and Nazi concentration camps were not
really intended to be witnessed on a broad scale, were they? But public acts of terrorist violence
often are. I also wonder if this
connects to Bautille’s engagement with Sade and the eroticization of horror and
ontological destruction. In what
circumstances and for whom is horror produced as spectacle (maybe extending to
a discussion of film), and what does purpose does this serve? What different meanings and uses are at
play when horror isn’t produced as public effect?
I guess my main
question is - and I realize this is very much going against an underlying
principle of Horrorism – how do we understand the relationship between the
actor of horror and what they are doing?
What is gotten out of horror by its perpetrator? Because while philosophically
Cavarero’s idea of dehumanization, ontological violence and a perverse
fascination with (in)vulnerability makes sense to me, I find it hard to believe, if this doesn’t translate into material, political or other more tangible
benefits for horror’s perpetrators at some level, that this is enough of a reason to
do it .
p.s. Sorry this is late!
No comments:
Post a Comment